An outdoorsy, down-to-earth family based in Boulder, CO is seeking a nature-loving, adventurous, and engaging educator/nanny for their two girls, aged 10 and 5 years old.
This active family loves to spend as much time outdoors as possible, from skiing in Crested Butte to hiking the Spanish Peaks, to mountain biking and going on nature walks – they also look forward to traveling again once it is safe to do so. Their home base is in Boulder, though they are excited to split their time in their soon-to-be new home on a working ranch in southern Colorado! The family loves animals and currently have a dog, chickens, and quails. They look forward to welcoming cattle, horses, pigs, bunnies, and more to their family once they move to their ranch. Their daughters currently attend a Montessori school that is now operating virtually, and they thrive with hands-on, outdoor-centric, project-based learning. The family is excited to embark on an adventure of homeschooling with their girls, and to welcome an adventure-loving candidate into their home to do so! Both daughters are very eager to meet and welcome their new teacher into their lives!
The ideal candidate for this position will have a true passion for teaching and learning. Utilizing the family’s wonderful home environments and excursions, fostering an educational atmosphere and a love for learning for their daughters while utilizing hands-on learning opportunities throughout the day will be at the heart of this role. The family is open to considering a candidate with an educational background who would be excited to create and implement the girls’ curriculum, or a candidate who would be willing to collaborate with parents and utilize a program and teaching materials they will provide. A candidate with Montessori knowledge and outdoor education experience (experience with NOLS or outdoor education/wilderness training programs would be a huge bonus!) will feel right at home in this role. The parents would love for their daughters to learn Spanish, so Spanish proficiency, and/or a willingness to learn alongside the girls, will be a plus. While care for animals is minimal, a love for animals is essential, as well as a go-with-the-flow, adventurous spirit. Outside of educating and providing a positive influence for their children, additional responsibilities that would be appreciated include preparing meals for the children (mom is a professional chef and would be happy to train if needed!), grocery shopping, helping with the animals and encouraging the girls to participate, and various PA and household tasks as needed.
This is a full-time position with 40 hours guaranteed per week and accommodations fully provided if desired. While in Boulder, optional live-in accommodations include a private bedroom and full bathroom on the family’s garden floor. On the ranch, a separate casita would be provided to the candidate (common areas may be shared by another employee in the future but will feature a private bedroom and bath). The general schedule is flexible but will include 8-hour days; the family is happy to discuss a schedule that works best for all parties. They are offering $35-$40/hour with additional benefits including a healthcare stipend, PTO, a gym and museum membership, a public transportation pass, and a vehicle provided for both professional and personal use. The family is hopeful for at least a 1-year commitment, and look forward to a start date at the beginning of July 2020!
This position is open to all Adventure Nannies candidates who are legally able to work in the US and possess a valid driver’s license and valid passport or ability to obtain a passport with ample notice. This family is happy to consider relocation candidates as well as local candidates for this position. Out of respect for the privacy of the families we work with, we cannot provide any additional information about this position other than what has already been provided in the job description. If you are interested in learning more about the position, please apply!
- Care for, engage, and be a relatable role model for children
- Provide enriching learning and developmental experiences and activities beyond basic care
- Collaborate with parents to provide hands-on, Montessori-inspired curriculum that utilizes outdoor learning experiences
- Manage the children’s studies and provide homework and academic support
- Collaborate with parents and the children to make sure educational milestones are being met
- Be open to discovering educational opportunities as your days and weeks unfold
- Provide minimal care for the animals all together, utilizing the opportunity for learning experiences for the children
- Prepare meals for the children (whole foods preferred, limited dairy and gluten)
- Pitch in to ensure the home runs smoothly, including running errands, light tidying and laundry, and various personal assisting and household tasks as needed
- Valid driver’s license and ability to obtain a passport
- Bachelor’s degree or higher a plus
- Training or knowledge in Montessori is preferred
- Experience with NOLS or outdoor education/wilderness training programs would be a huge bonus!
- Spanish proficiency or a willingness to learn alongside the children preferred
- Have a basic understanding and love for animals, as they are an active part of the daughters’ lives
- Must love the outdoors, and travel!
- Experience traveling with families preferred
- Experience working in a fully staffed home preferred
- A patient approach to education and childcare, and a love for learning and teaching