A wonderful and growing family of five is looking for an excited, engaging, and experienced private educator to work one-on-one with their 4-year-old son in beautiful Panama. This family of missionaries has three children and another on the way and operates an orphanage in Panama. They are excited to find a candidate with wonderful educational and childcare experience who is familiar with working with children diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder and who is open and excited about the wonderful work they do in the world.
In this role, you will be responsible for developing and implementing an effective individual educational program for a precious 4-year-old boy who was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder at the age of 2. The ideal candidate will be loving and kind, flexible and ready to jump in where needed, and have strong communication skills. All candidates must have experience working with children on the autism spectrum, live a healthy and active lifestyle, and have a team player attitude.
You will work collaboratively with all members of the son’s clinical support team in the US and Panama in order to create and implement an individualized education including developing curriculum, evaluating progress and communicating with the team on their son’s progress. A focus on developing educationally as well as general life and social skills will be key in this role.
The family environment is bustling with three dogs, an iguana and a hamster, three active children, and the family’s shared joy for the work that they do in Panama. You can expect to hear music in the home at night and be welcomed into a loving family dynamic. The family employs a part-time housekeeper and a full-time nanny but will be appreciative of a candidate who is happy to jump in and help where needed, as life in Panama requires flexibility.
The weekly schedule will be Monday through Friday from 9:00am to 5:00pm with some flexibility for additional shifts over the weekend for allowing date nights for the couple, and to travel occasionally with the family.
The family is offering $40,000-$50.000 with separate and private nanny accommodations will be provided on the family’s property. Other perks include two international round-trip tickets to the candidate to facilitate trips home to visit their families.
This position is open to all Adventure Nannies candidates who possess experience working with autistic children and who are excited about the opportunity to work and live in Panama and to collaborate with this loving and dedicated family.
Preference will be given to candidates who possess a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in special education, speech therapy or equivalent experience.
- Create and implement developmentally appropriate and engaging curriculum gearing toward a four-year-old on the autism spectrum
- Standard childcare duties including bathing, feeding, dressing, napping, and assistance with morning and evening routines
- Provide enriching experiences and activities utilizing music, art, and the world around beyond basic care
- Collaborate with an international care team to meet and exceed developmental milestones, educational goals and plan for future development
- Travel internationally and domestically with the family
- Collaborate with parents and team
- At least 4 years experience working directly with preschool to elementary aged children with ASD
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in special education highly preferred
- Curriculum planning, early childhood education and or classroom experience
- Knowledge about autism spectrum disorder, childhood development stages and attuned to the child’s developmental needs
- A genuine passion for childhood development and proactive attitude in researching education methods
- Excitement and experience traveling or living abroad
- Be an active, engaged and energetic individual who is excited about working with a 4-year-old in a dynamic rainforest environment