An open, caring family spending their summer in sunny Lake Tahoe is seeking an experienced educator who specializes in dyslexia to join their family for 4 to 6 weeks to support their 4th grader as she prepares for the upcoming in-person academic year!
Typically based in San Francisco, this bustling family is active and friendly, and their priorities always lie with ensuring their children are set up to thrive. They value open communication and mutual support in their home and household team and treat their team members as extensions of the family. They’ll be spending the summer in Truckee, CA, a location that is perfect for anyone who loves mountains, hiking, biking, swimming, and more! Their 10-year-old daughter loves to play sports and get outside, especially while in Lake Tahoe. She learns with dyslexia and has done very well with in-person classes, though after a year of distance learning she is ready for some additional support to bolster her academic skills and independence, particularly in language arts ahead of the 2021/22 academic year. The family is seeking an experienced and specialized educator who can provide educational support to make her summer enriching, fun-filled, and to build her confidence when it comes to learning!
This position is ideal for an educator who is extremely well-versed and experienced in working with children who learn with dyslexia. The family would love to work with an educator who is knowledgeable in different educational approaches in order to identify the right educational model that is tailored to their daughter’s learning style. Though open to meeting applicants from a variety of backgrounds, the family would be particularly thrilled to work with an educator who has experience working in an academic institution designed to support dyslexic learners! The role will include collaborating with the parents, the family’s full-time nanny, their San Francisco tutor, and, of course, their daughter to ensure continuity and to create a plan for success. Their youngest daughter may participate in daily lessons, but all programming will be geared towards her older sister as the priority.
- Hours/Schedule: The schedule will fall on Mondays through Fridays with typical private education hours falling in the afternoons. The family is happy to work with their educator to determine a schedule that works best for all parties and the educator can anticipate lesson planning and instructing 20-25+ hours/week.
- Compensation and Benefits: The family is guaranteeing $1500-$2000+/week based on educator experience.
- Start Date and Contract Length: The minimum start date is June 28th (once the family arrives in Lake Tahoe) and will extend through the first week of August. If available, the family would love for their educator to begin their contract in the beginning of June, either virtually or in-person in San Francisco, in order to establish a solid foundation with their 10-year-old.
- Live-in/Live-out: Live-in. Accommodations in Tahoe include a beautiful detached 2 bedroom guest house on the family’s property. If joining the family for an earlier start date in San Francisco, the candidate would be provided private and separate accommodations.
- Other Notes: A candidate who was excited to incorporate outdoor education or other support for their two children would be welcome, but it is not a prerequisite and would be determined in conjunction with building the weekly schedule with the family!
- Be a supportive teacher and well-rounded role model to encourage academic growth and independence
- Research, develop, and implement a creative and fun lesson plans based on the student’s needs and learning style
- Bring your knowledge of educational approaches tailored to supporting children with dyslexia to curate an educational path that sets their daughter up for success
- Collaborate with the parents, co-nanny, and their daughter’s San Francisco tutor to create a custom-tailored summer lesson plan
- Be a true team player and integral part of the family’s team
- At least 5 years of professional teaching experience in a classroom or homeschool setting
- Valid driver’s license preferred
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in an education-related field
- Education/training and proven expert experience with working with children with dyslexia
- Experience working in an academic institution supporting dyslexic learners is a huge plus!
- Passion for teaching the children as a whole
- Collaborative and team-oriented
This position is open to all Adventure Nannies candidates who are legally able to work in the US, possess a valid driver’s license, and have training and experience working with children with dyslexia. This family is happy to consider relocation candidates for this position. Out of respect for the privacy of the families we work with, we cannot provide any additional information about this position other than what has already been provided in the job description. If you are interested in learning more about the position, please apply!