A dynamic, loving family based in Portola Valley, CA is seeking a creative, adventurous, and passionate private educator to provide a unique educational journey for their children!
This bustling, multinational family loves to travel and is passionate about providing a learning experience for their children that is catered to their development and their family’s lifestyle! They plan to spend approximately 4 months during the year in both New Zealand and Switzerland (and beyond!), while the majority of their “school year” will be taking place while home in Portola Valley (thirty minutes south of San Francisco). They have a guest house on their property that they will be transitioning into a schoolhouse for their 5-year-old next fall in order to begin her education with core curriculum, including reading, math, and writing, as well as additional subjects that are all inspired by her interests and developmental path. Her two younger siblings, aged 3 and 1 year old, may stop in for a lesson here or there too! Their household includes a full-time, loving nanny to provide childcare support so their educator can focus fully on education.
The ideal candidate for this position will be passionate about creative education and fostering a love for learning in their students! Though a huge plus, teaching credentials and a background as an educator is not a requirement, as the family prefers to find an educator who is excited to provide a hands-on, alternative learning experience for their children. This educator will be responsible for teaching core curriculum, as well as organizing field trips and researching and scheduling guest teachers who specialize in various subjects such as art, music, Mandarin, and more! They plan on having their schoolhouse function as a microschool for part of the week, inviting other children in their community to take part in lessons together. While traveling with the family, this educator will be expected to research destinations and plan field trips and educational experiences based on each location. A candidate who is highly organized but flexible and open to spontaneity will thrive in this role! The family hopes for a candidate who can be a collaborative presence to work side by side the parents to create the best educational experience for their children.
This is a full-time position of 40-50 hours/week. The schedule will fall on Mondays through Fridays with lessons, group classes and activities generally occurring between 9:30am to 3:30pm. The educator will use additional hours for curriculum planning, organizing the classroom and providing reports to parents. Flexibility to travel with the family domestically and internationally will be essential. The role is live-out or live-in while based in California. The family is happy to offer their educator free accommodation in their small guest house (which will function as the schoolhouse during the day). Accommodations are provided while traveling. The family is offering an annualized earning package of $75k – $85k, as well as additional benefits including assistance with healthcare, PTO, sick days, and 401k contributions. Driving will be required for this role and a vehicle will be provided while on duty. The position will begin at the start of the fall school year in September 2020, but the family would like to start working a few hours a week with the educator as soon as he/she is hired to develop the curriculum and start planning for the school year!
This position is open to all Adventure Nanny candidates who are legally able to work in the US, possess a valid driver’s license and passport, with a Bachelor’s degree or higher. This family is happy to consider relocation candidates for this position. Out of respect for the privacy of the families we work with, we cannot provide any additional information about this position other than what has already been provided in the job description. If you are interested in learning more about the position, please apply!
- Guide children through core subjects, including math, reading, and writing
- Research, identify, and implement the best materials, both online and offline to teach the children
- Research, identify, and coordinate the scheduling of guest tutors and educators in specialized subjects such as art, music, nature, science, etc.
- Plan and carry out field trips and educationally-minded adventures
- Coordinate with other families whose children will be attending classes at the microschool
- Document the children’s progress and create and manage an online learning portfolio
- Manage the classroom and ensure it is well-stocked and tidy
- Travel with the family and research and provide educational experiences and field trips at each destination (particularly New Zealand and Switzerland)
- Consume educational blogs, books, podcasts, and other resources in order to research and stay on top of the latest ideas and constantly challenge and be inspired with educational approaches
- Coordinate and accompany children to play dates and homeschool park days
- Valid driver’s license
- Valid passport
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Passion for both learning and teaching
- Deep appreciation for alternative educational approaches
- Desire and ability to travel with the family frequently throughout the year
- Previous experience as a classroom or homeschool teacher not a requirement, but a plus!
- Organized and proactive approach
- Flexible with a go-with-the-flow mentality